1. First thing first, it's well-known that Lefkada has a long love affair with the arts! Why are music and poetry so honored in this land? Well, it comes down to the breathtaking beauty of the muse/island, which has inspired a plethora of musicians and poets. One of these exceptional artists is Angelos Sikelianos, a prominent Greek poet, and a treasure to the Greek civilization- who had a weakness in mythology. Are you lucky enough to travel to Lefkada? Don't forget to pay a visit to the contemporary "Angelos Sikelianos Museum", dedicated to the life and work of Sikelianos. The museum is filled with fascinating exhibits from his personal life, rare manuscripts, photographs, and even recorded recitations in the voice of the poet himself. How exciting is that!
2. Let’s stroll through the archaeological ruins of Lefkada, and take a fun ride in history; the Archaeological Museum of Lefkada nestles upon the center of the town, so it’s accessible to everyone. Soon, you’ll realize that the admission-free museum lacks in size- as it only comprises of 4 exhibition rooms. However, the impressive exhibits make up for it. The precious artifacts will let you have a glance back in time, starting from the Paleolithic age extending to the Ancient era. Our not-so-large treasure is packed with information that’s very welcome before visiting other archaeological sites in Lefkada. So, act wisely and treat yourself with useful information to get a better understanding of the local history.
3. Did you know that another prominent artist was born in the beautiful island of Lefkada? Lafcadio Hearn (Koizumi Yakumo) was a Greek-Japanese writer/poet, known for his efforts to spread the Japanese culture across the West. Thanks to his stories and narratives, many Europeans had the chance of visualizing the unfamiliar land of Japan. The Historical Center of Lafcadio Hearn, through photographs, audiovisuals, and exhibits, allows you to explore some of the most extraordinary milestones of the life of Lafcadio, while also discovering the harmonic mixture of different civilizations. Upon entering the welcoming hall of the Cultural Center, you won’t miss the mesmerizing statue called ‘Odyssey of an open mind’. This contemporary statue, endowed with wings that blend and create the shape of a heart, is an expression of Lafcadio’s wandering between East and West
4. Now, let's talk in the universal language we all know and love; music! As mentioned before, Lefkada has had a long past with music, the creation of the Philarmonic Association back in 1850, says it all. The Philarmonic Association Museum is located on the ground floor of the P.A.'s building- a place where you can stroll through the music history of Lefkada! Getting in touch with the local music can give you a deeper insight into the Lefkadian culture! After all, you can tell a lot about someone based on the music they listen to, can't you? Remember to keep an eye out for any special events in which the Philarmonic Orchestra may participate; listening to it truly is an awe-inspiring experience!
5. Next stop? The Phonograph Museum and Folklore! Situated downtown, you can’t miss visiting this gem of a museum. A local citizen has taken the initiative for its creation, and the result is extraordinary! It consists of a beautiful and moving collection of old photographs, phonographs, and objects that belong in another era- it’s a great insight into Lefkadian folk history. Just remember to brace yourself when the nostalgia kicks in! The admission to the museum is free of charge, but you can always support the owner’s effort and buy a CD (for a token fee) with vintage Greek songs.
6. Did you find yourself in the beautiful, picturesque village of Karia? Did you notice the street signs directing to the Folklore Museum of Karia? If so, follow them! By the companion of a happy elder man, a “pappou” as we like to say in Greece, you’ll get to witness the folk art of the locals, consisting mainly of precisely-sewed, breathtaking embroidery. There’s also a surprising fact about this museum; it used to be a family home to the kind pappou-tour guide! A stroll through his own-living museum, by his narrative, in combination with the well-maintained furniture that his family kept, is a worthwhile experience. Don’t miss out on this hidden gem!
7. When most people think of Greece, a wide range of different things may pop into their minds. The edible treasure of the Greek land- the olive oil- must be among the most common ones! The Fabrica-Olive Museum, located in the vivid village of Sivros, is a small but well-structured and beautifully-designed museum. During your visit, you’ll get to educate yourself on the history and process of oil-producing. What an interesting experience would that be, especially if you’re a non-Mediterranean citizen! At the end of the tour, there’s also a huge, delicious surprise waiting for you; food tasting (yay!). Are you a gastronomy lover like us? Then, seize the opportunity of tasting the true essence of the local cuisine. Learning has never been so much fun before.
After a long day of visiting the museums, swimming in the crystal-clear, azure waters, strolling downtown, and going sightseeing, at some point you might feel sweet exhaustion. There’s only one effective prescription to cure this kind of tiredness; a dose of Yades Villas!
Our accommodation nestles upon an evocative location- Athani- a hill from where you have an unhindered view of the Ionian Sea. The moment you set foot on our calming surroundings, a wave of serenity will greet you. The tastefully-decorated indoors, which comprises of top-notch rustic aesthetics, elegant touches, and natural tones that let the breathtaking exterior beauty rush within, aims at filling you with bliss!
The villas' layout is also ideal for families since it's endowed with a fully-equipped kitchen, 3 bathrooms, and 2 bedrooms! The amenities also include a private pool! But, hey, we have to let you in on a little secret: its most prominent feature must be the mesmerizing sunset view. Open the curtains, as the radiant colors fill the room with magic and let the last rays of sunlight caress your cheek. Choose the best seat on the balcony, and watch the vast blue sea turn into a million different shades of reds, and golds and purples. An eternal sunset is awaiting you.
In Yades Villas, magic is our reality. Dare to get what you deserve!